6 cups yellow onions (~1½ large onions), peeled and sliced into rings
2 large bell peppers (4 cups) sliced (about ¼ inch thick), I used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
1 (12-ounce) package, fully cooked reduced-fat chicken or turkey sausages (4 sausages), I used Trader Joe’s garlic herb chicken sausages, see shopping tips
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
HOW TO MAKE
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, add the sliced onions and bell peppers. Cook on high in microwave for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
2. In the meantime, cut the 4 sausages into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add the sausage slices and cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir often. Remove sausages to a plate.
3. In the same pan, coat again with cooking spray. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the cooked onions and bell peppers, oregano, basil, a little salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add 1 more teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, 1 minute. Return the sausages to the pan. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Mix everything together and continue to cook, stirring, until warmed through and well blended, about 2 minutes.
4. Arrange the sausages, peppers and onions on a platter.
5. Serve with mustard on the side and toasted bread or rolls, if desired.
Makes 4 main course servings. Each serving 1¼ cup.
Make 6-8 appetizer servings
WW SP: 6
WW PP: 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1¼ cups) (based on using Trader Joe’s sausages)
293 calories, 13g fat, 2g sat. fat, 65mg chol, 21g prot, 31g carbs, 6g fiber, 593mg sodium, 6g sugar
|FACTS: for WW SP
253 calories, 2g sat. fat, 0g sugar, 20g protein