Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 40-45 minutes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (96%), see shopping tip
- 1 cup onions, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I used a spicy brown mustard)
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce, can or jarred
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup lite cheddar cheese, mozzarella or blend, shredded (I used Trader’s lite Mexican blend)
- 4 large red bell peppers, yellow or orange (each about 3½ inches high and 3½ inches wide)
- Cook rice and set aside. Cut off the top of 4 bell peppers about 1-inch down from top. Clean out seeds and membranes. Throw away the tops.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large nonstick pan, brown ground beef and onions. Season beef with a little salt and pepper. Be sure to break up ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, tomato sauce and 3 tablespoons water. Mix well. Stir in ¾ cup shredded cheese and cooked rice. Mix well and continue to cook until heated through. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water, if getting a little dry. Remove from heat.
- Stuff each bell pepper with ground beef mixture, top each stuffed pepper with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Place each in a 9-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. If peppers are not soft enough, cook about 5 minutes more.
- Once cooked, cooled and wrapped, they freeze great!
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, 1 stuffed pepper
Each serving has 349 calories, 12 grams of fat
POINTS PLUS 9